[opensource] Problems with the lab access script

Peter Dietz dietz.72 at osu.edu
Tue May 8 10:50:44 EDT 2007

One of the founding principals of those who were engineering the net in its
genesis was "be conservative in what you send, and liberal in what you
receive".

While blacklisting the other 99.999% of the internet that you don't want any
communications with is effective in blocking unsolicited emails, you're
blocking communication with the other 99.999% of the internet.

If you don't like osu's spam filter, then have your osu webmail and csemail
forwarded to someone else like Gmail. Junk is pretty much blocked, and you
have (unlimited) storage, and built in chat.

On 5/7/07, Brian Swaney <swaney.29 at osu.edu> wrote:

> I know. Sorry, I forgot to whitelist the address. The response Paul
> mentioned from swaney.29 is because the address/domain wasn't
> recognized. OSU lets you write your own spam filter rules, and I got
> really sick and tired of overseas V:i:a:g:r:a ad pictures from
> psuedorandomly generated fake e-mail addresses, so I set my spam filters
> to block anyone I don't know. If you have an e-mail address that does
> not end in ".edu", send me an e-mail at Lavagolemking at aol.com (also
> heavily spam filtered, but not white/blacklisted like OSU's address)
> asking me to add you to a list of "good" senders.
>
> -Brian Swaney
>

> On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 18:11 -0400, Paul Betts wrote:
> > If you don't receive an Email back within 10 mins or so (either saying
> > something is glitched or it worked), check your spam filter and resend
> > the mail. For some reason, a few people's Emails are being rejected by
> > OSUs Email servers; it's really inconsistent though.
> >
> > PS: Does anyone know what this means?
> >
> > <swaney.29 at osu.edu>: host defang17.it.ohio-state.edu[128.146.216.131]
> > said: 554
> >     5.7.1 Message rejected because of unacceptable content.  For help,
> > please
> >     quote incident ID 104288774. (in reply to end of DATA command)
> >
> > --
> > Paul Betts <bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu>
> >

> --
>
> -Brian Swaney