[opensource] New idea for supporting open source group and philosophy, but I need help...

Brian Swaney swaney.29 at osu.edu
Sun May 20 02:52:02 EDT 2007

I thought I mentioned this, but I guess I somehow expected everybody to
assume it based on my frequent reference to programs such as
OpenOffice.org and VLC Player, and people who are not ready to switch to
Linux, along with my asking for keycard access and SSH, since Paul had
no idea what I was talking about and only thought I mentioned it due to
my self-inflicted false memory syndrome. I have been working on an
HTML-autoplay disk full of free/open source software for the Windows. I
intend to have the disk finished by the end of the quarter, hopefully by
which time SoC lab will have added me to the door, and burn a bunch of
copies of the disk to place in a pile or stack labeled "Free, take one"
in the Open Source lab.

I have some of the files done, some more I plan to have done shortly,
and a bunch that I can't do on my own. The ones I can't do on my own are
things I'm not yet familiar with, and don't have the time to look them
up. I left copies of the completed ones (ignore the "setup.exe" files
because they are out-of-date and I'm going to update them as I get to
them) in the /home/swaneybr/FreeDisk directory on the server, which I
believe Paul set for anyone to have access to (at least the ability to
read it).

I have a good idea about what a lot of them do, and put those in the
need_info/ directory of the attached file, then listed the ones I (most
of them) have no idea what they are for and need them categorized, as
well as the information to put into HTMLs. Can anyone match up the ones
in the need_all file to a bunch of categories, such as
"word-processing", "graphics", "media", "developers", etc. to help
ensure this is done before the end of the quarter/year? Keep in mind
that the more made, the more we will have to pass out at the involvement
fair, and the sooner they are made, the sooner I (or we) can start
mass-copying them...

-Brian Swaney