[opensource] New idea for supporting open source group and philosophy, but I need help...

Peter Dietz dietz.72 at osu.edu
Sun May 20 10:56:13 EDT 2007

The OpenCD is almost exactly what Bryan is talking about, but I think a
custom OSU OSS edition is what is intended. That could be pretty cool. Since
we have a bunch of old ubuntu cds and cases, we could stuff the old case
with the latest  copy of ubuntu that we've burned, and also put in our own
OSU Open CD.

If anyone is curious as to why VLC media player is not included in The
OpenCD, you might want to read their comment page on it.
http://www.theopencd.org/NewPrograms/VideoLAN-VLC

{for those too lazy to follow}
RolandDeschain           VLC needs a new installer that can download the DVD
library as an optional extra.

HenrikOmma           Yes, or at the very least it needs to be re-packaged
without deCSS with a new installer. This should be fairly simple (I've done
some NSIS stuff recently).

ChrisGray           As we've said above, all we need is a version sans
deCSS.
===
So I guess the open people don't like to distribute programs that decrypt
copy protection. Just like nobody likes telling 09 people to press the F9
key...

On 5/20/07, Adam Porr <porr.4 at osu.edu> wrote:

> Hey Brian
>
> You might want to check out the OpenCD before you put too much effort
> into this. No sense in reinventing the wheel!
>
> http://www.theopencd.org/
>
> Adam
>
> On 5/20/07, Brian Swaney <swaney.29 at osu.edu> wrote:
> > I thought I mentioned this, but I guess I somehow expected everybody to
> > assume it based on my frequent reference to programs such as
> > OpenOffice.org and VLC Player, and people who are not ready to switch to
> > Linux, along with my asking for keycard access and SSH, since Paul had
> > no idea what I was talking about and only thought I mentioned it due to
> > my self-inflicted false memory syndrome. I have been working on an
> > HTML-autoplay disk full of free/open source software for the Windows. I
> > intend to have the disk finished by the end of the quarter, hopefully by
> > which time SoC lab will have added me to the door, and burn a bunch of
> > copies of the disk to place in a pile or stack labeled "Free, take one"
> > in the Open Source lab.
> >
> > I have some of the files done, some more I plan to have done shortly,
> > and a bunch that I can't do on my own. The ones I can't do on my own are
> > things I'm not yet familiar with, and don't have the time to look them
> > up. I left copies of the completed ones (ignore the "setup.exe" files
> > because they are out-of-date and I'm going to update them as I get to
> > them) in the /home/swaneybr/FreeDisk directory on the server, which I
> > believe Paul set for anyone to have access to (at least the ability to
> > read it).
> >
> > I have a good idea about what a lot of them do, and put those in the
> > need_info/ directory of the attached file, then listed the ones I (most
> > of them) have no idea what they are for and need them categorized, as
> > well as the information to put into HTMLs. Can anyone match up the ones
> > in the need_all file to a bunch of categories, such as
> > "word-processing", "graphics", "media", "developers", etc. to help
> > ensure this is done before the end of the quarter/year? Keep in mind
> > that the more made, the more we will have to pass out at the involvement
> > fair, and the sooner they are made, the sooner I (or we) can start
> > mass-copying them...
> >

> > -Brian Swaney

> --
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys F7F72CBA
> 2E02 EEAC EF67 E8B3 1FA5  6DF4 A0FB C0CF F7F7 2CBA

Peter Dietz
Student / Technologist

www.eclectech.us