[opensource] New idea for supporting open source group and philosophy, but I need help...

Brian Swaney swaney.29 at osu.edu
Sun May 20 12:20:46 EDT 2007

Yes, I'm intent on making a custom CD for OSU OSS. VLC is a powerful and
easy program for the Windows user to start with, and it is a great
example of what a finished open source project can do. Simple, small,
yet powerful. If you were a new Windows user, would you want your first
experience to be with a Windows version of Totem (not sure if it can
work in Windows, but play along), to have to figure out why it won't
play your mp3's, then figure out what the heck a codec is, then go
looking for a way to install that codec without a spyware ("Potentially
Unwanted Program" for all you corporate employees out there who make the
stuff) bundle? Most Windows users will just give up and go back to their
iTunes and RealPlayer. I figured VLC would be a nice way to start them
off.

I don't think I can really fit Ubuntu in them, but perhaps I could link
them to an ISO or something and find a free ISO burning program to help
them along the way. I think the idea behind the current Ubuntu disks is
because they're in a pretty case and they have labels on them, so they
are more appealing to people than some disk that has a name of an
operating system they've never heard of written on it in black (or even
red) marker. As for the FreeDisk, I had something along the lines of
sticking  a bunch in a CD case and having it sit somewhere with a sign
saying "Free, take one" and maybe a description. In case we ever run
out, we could store the ISO on the server.

-Brian Swaney