[opensource] Local ISPs

Daniel Murry murry.8 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 9 13:40:28 EDT 2007

I'm a huge fan of WOW, at least compared to Time Warner.

I had them for 3-4 years when I lived in Columbus.  I did notice that their
dns servers would become painfully slow at times...  You do have to be
careful and make sure you order the correct speed package, because they have
a really cheap one they advertise all the time that is only like 115 kbps
down.  I think I paid $74 month for basic analog cable with a box (the box
has a crude guide system, but it worked) and the 4mbps internet.  You can
haggle with them a bit to get the price down using Time Warner as a
reference/threat.

I also had Time Warner for a year and I battled with disconnect issues the
whole time.  I'd rather stay connected all the time than worry about up/down
speed issues.

-Dan

On 10/9/07, Peter Dietz <dietz.72 at osu.edu> wrote:

> I'm looking for that same thing, we have timewarner/roadrunner cable (tv +
> internet) and its about $120 monthly, and we still fight about who has to go
> restart the modem this time....
>
> I think AT&T Yahoo DSL availble, though it is likely slow. And I believe
> WOW offers service in the area also.
>
> OSU offers a buck 95 dialup, which I'm sure is a rock-solid performer
> http://www.osuweb.net/
>

> ...but thats all I've been able to find in the area
>
> On 10/9/07, Wyatt < trent.arms at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking for ISPs in the (campus) area.  Maybe one, maybe a
> > combination of a few, but the major requirement is good up- and down-stream
> > bandwidth and the ability to have multiple lines.  Good service and
> > equipment, or at least service and equipment significantly above rock-bottom
> > (Time Warner) would be nice as well.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

> --
> ==
> Peter Dietz
> 614-441-8182 - Phone
> Computer Science & Engineering -- The Ohio State University

Daniel Murry
Industrial and Systems Engineering
The Ohio State University

Contact: