[opensource] Local ISPs

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Oct 9 15:30:25 EDT 2007

Hey Wyatt,

I wouldn't call Time Warner rock bottom.  I've had them for about 3
years now and I've been pretty happy with the level of service.  The
up/downstream bandwidth is pretty good and they don't filter your
traffic.  I run web, dns, ssh, etc servers on my time warner roadrunner
service and the IP changes very rarely, maybe once per year.  I've never
had any problems running bittorrent, edonkey, gnutella, or any other
peer-to-peer stuff.

All together, I pay something like $75 per month for internet and analog
cable.  They gave me a Motorola Surfboard modem that works really well,
I never have to restart it.  I know others with DSL modems that crap out
a few times a month that have to be manually rebooted.  Not so great if
you have a server running and you want to hang on to your ip.

Good luck!
 ~jim.