[opensource] Local ISPs

Marc Uhrich uhrich.1 at gradsch.ohio-state.edu
Tue Oct 9 17:03:16 EDT 2007

I've used both Time Warner and WOW for about a year.  I switched from
Time Warner to get the 6Mbit/1Mbit service that WOW exclusively offers
in our area.  Additionally, I wanted a static IP address.

As for service and pricing, I would have to say they are both pretty
comparable.  WOW was a little cheaper, but I've has some packet dropping
from them and other odd, and very minor, anomalies.  However, their
phone response time is fantastic compared to Time Warner.  Ultimately, I
have been very satisfied with both companies and would recommend picking
whichever you can get the best deal on.

Finally, I feel the need to comment on Time Warner being the bottom of
the barrel.  My experience with them was extremely similar to Jims.
>From the time that I had it installed to the time they pulled the plug I
can't recall rebooting my modem even once.  My parents, who have Time
Warner because of Adelphia's buyout, had only minor issues during their
merger and now have a very rock solid and fast connection.  That's my 2
cents worth.
Marc Uhrich
Systems Engineer @ OSU Graduate School
247 University Hall, 230 N Oval Mall