[opensource] New Web Browser

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Oct 29 09:09:53 EDT 2007

How will respondus prevent me from using my cell phone while I am taking
an exam?  Will it keep me from taking screen shots with my digital
camera or copying down questions on paper?  Will it know if students get
together to solve the exam and then take it individually or if they
gather as a group with laptops to take it?  What if I go to the computer
lab and just use 2 machines, one for the web and one for the exam?

As you've pointed out, this is clearly not a sufficient solution to
prevent students from cheating.  I'm really sad to hear that you guys
will have to deal with this lockdown browser junk.  This type of
misguided draconian measure has no place in fostering a healthy and
productive learning environment.

Also, rather than DRM, this type of scheme is often called "treacherous
computing": http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html.
"Treacherous computing" is a general term that refers to any system
which causes your computer to obey others instead of you.

 ~jim.