[opensource] Cleaning up MySQL?

JEREMY RUMPF rumpf.6 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 14 16:20:05 EDT 2007

Depends, if you're looking for a cleanup at a db level (aka, holes in the datafiles left due to deleted records, etc) that depends on which table handler you are using MyISAM or InnoDB.

Considering you are using Wordpress (which I know nothing about it's internals), I'm assuming the data in the database is almost never deleted. It's written once, then read many times for display. If this is the case, then your datafiles are probably mostly intact and won't benefit from any db level cleanup.

You can try an optimize, but you mileage will vary.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/optimize-table.html

Jeremy