[opensource] automated email parsing

Silas Baronda silas.baronda at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 22:12:46 EDT 2008

Good old perl.  If you are thinking about using perl and your are
piping in via STDIN then look at this.
http://groups.google.com/group/perl.beginners/browse_thread/thread/
67b898fd08620b14/70e9ea351a72ffe0?lnk=st&q=parsing
+emails#70e9ea351a72ffe0

I would say that it really matters what format your email is in
already.  We know from 221 or 222 that it was quite easy to parse
email in mbox format.  But there are many other popular formats like
maildir and what not.  What is good is that most scripting languages
actually make the grunt work easy for you to deal with.

If you just have a Mail Delivery Agent drop messages into a folder
this would be really simple to get started.  Then you can have a cron
job run every 5 minutes or so to read the emails.