[opensource] Meeting [12/4]: Abusing the Unix Shell

James Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Dec 2 18:52:36 EST 2008

Fellow Open Source Addicts:

  /******************************\
  *  Abusing the Unix Shell      *
  *  December 4, 2008 at 7:00pm  *
  *  Dreese Labs room 266        *
  \******************************/

Fun and merriment will ensue during this week's meeting as we explore
scripting, hacking, and otherwise misusing the Unix shell.  We'll start
with the basics and work our way towards complete shell ninja-dom.

The session will focus on the popular Bash shell and the Linux command
line.  Topics may include:

 * Bash scripting
 * The Linux file system, links, inodes, and file pwnership
 * dd if=/dev/urandom of=/vmlinuz count=42; echo "goodbye world"; reboot
 * Grepping for self defense
 * whatis Santa
 * Automating your secret moon base with cron

Please post any suggestions on what you'd like to hear about or any
scripting challenges you'd like to look at during the meeting.

See you then,
 ~Jim.