[opensource] Meeting [12/4]: Abusing the Unix Shell

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Dec 8 23:58:20 EST 2008

Hello Again,

Attached is the Gnome wallpaper slideshow scripting example we looked at
during last week's meeting.

  Usage: wallpaper_slideshow.sh files...

Wallpaper slideshow takes a list of image files as input and changes the
wallpaper periodically using images from the list.  Directories are
allowed too, the script will recursively descend directories in search
of more images.  I also added a non-interactive mode so you can run the
script in the background (man nohup).

I think you can also configure Gnome to run the script automatically
when you log in via System->Preferences->Sessions then "Add".  If
anybody figures this out, I'm sure others would be interested.

Please feel free to post any questions, comments, or improvements to the
list!  :)

Happy Holidays!
 ~Jim.