[opensource] Meeting [12/4]: Abusing the Unix Shell

Aaron Joseph joseph.181 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 9 01:42:51 EST 2008

I think you can also configure Gnome to run the script automatically
> when you log in via System->Preferences->Sessions then "Add".  If
> anybody figures this out, I'm sure others would be interested.

I'm pretty sure that what you said here will work. I think it will even let
you browse to the file to pick it. The only thing I think you'll need to do
is use a 'chmod' command since the file didn't have permission to execute
when I first downloaded it. I assume that the ninjadom that Jim has bestowed
on you has prepared you for changing file permissions.... but if not then
just email Jim or myself and we'll help you out.

I want to try adjusting the refresh rate to be a fraction of a second and
then try to use frames from a video with the script to see if I can get it
to the point of displaying a moving image on my desktop. Unfortunately I
foresee some serious resource usage problems on the horizon since this is
something that should really be done by writing a program in C that does
this. But if anyone happens to have a supercomputer and can get this going
then let me know how it turns out.

--Aaron Joseph