[opensource] Meeting [12/4]: Abusing the Unix Shell

Marc Uhrich uhrich.1 at gradsch.ohio-state.edu
Tue Dec 9 13:06:28 EST 2008

I had the same impression as Jim.  Nvidia used to be the way to go for
Linux compatible drivers.  I guess things have changed according to this
(https://help.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/hardware.html) link. ATI
cards work with hardware acceleration out of the box with Ubuntu, but
Nvidia requires their proprietary drivers. Although, there isn't any
problem with Nvidia cards as long as you don't have an issue with their
proprietary drivers.

As for the original question of having a movie wallpaper.  Mplayer will
do it with the -rootwin and -fs options enabled.  VLC has a wallpaper
option in windows, but I think it is missing in Linux.

With the lack of compression and hardware acceleration, taking
screenshots of videos and slapping them on the background would probably
be impractical.  It would be cool to get a slideshow type effect from
slices of a movie.  Lets say I love the movie hackers, I could slice it
apart in 1 minute segments and have the background change over the 2
hour movie period.  I'd get the effect of scene prompts, but not
necessarily watch it all the way though.  Plus, I'd get the street cred
for knowing how to stop the cookie monster virus.

Ohh, and because the subject of the email is "abusing the unix shell" I
have to submit my most often used one liner below. Although I guess this
isn't abuse unless you use -9.

ps -ef|grep (username or program)|awk '{print $1}'|xargs kill -(number)

Marc Uhrich

Systems Engineer @ OSU Graduate School

247 University Hall, 230 N Oval Mall

Columbus, Ohio  43210