[opensource] Meeting [12/4]: Abusing the Unix Shell

Wyatt trent.arms at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 20:36:05 EST 2008

This got long.  Sorry.  I'm not really certain what the CW is on drivers
these days.  There are several things I CAN say, however.

*nVidia's nvidia module:  Uses a Really Ugly Hack to do multiple monitors.
Very poor 2D performance.  Doesn't play with compositing or suspend well.
Sometimes derefs NULL (oops).  It's easy to coax into working though.  Also
added video decode acceleration recently.
*nVidia maintained open kernel module, nv:  slow and only does 2D.  Supports
Xv, at least.
*Open source noveau module:  Based on nv, so 2D works and has, in fact been
improved amazingly as I recall...recently merged into Gallium3D to hopefully
get THAT stuff accelerated too.  Maybe.
*ATi's (well, AMD's now) fglrx module:  Fairly performant when you can get
it running.  It's definitely gotten better about running in some senses--
it installs mostly cleanly most of the time, though switching from another
driver or switching to another driver will create...headaches.  Supports
proper xinerama, RandR, and such.
*Open source radeon module: has supported R100 and R200 GPUs (all radeons
pre-9500, IIRC) for a while.  DRI works and they behave as one would expect
hardware to behave when its working (generally).  Good Job.  dri_r300.so
(Radeon 9500 through...well, apparently everything else, now) works...?  It
worked decently with my X300 in my laptop, at least, but still lags behind
the closed one.  Work is proceeding, though, so that's neat.  May be merge
in radeonhd.
*Open radeonhd module: being developed on commission by Novell.  For newer
cards.

On topic (lol):
I've learned a lot from this handy...tome. http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
My favourite shell trick is probably using kill and killall to manipulate
processes outside of...well, killing them.  Also, learning that `--` is bash
for "Too close for parameters; switching to args" would have been useful
long before I learned it.

-Wyatt

PS: Sorry, Jim.  Damn you, "Reply to all!"