[opensource] Office Computer Name

Peter Dietz dietz.72 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 20 21:52:54 EST 2008

Hey Everybody,

Last year Jim started a little naming contest for our lab computer, where we
ended up renaming last year's computer 'dl190' as stallman. We now have a
new computer this year, and will soon be outfitting our lab with another new
desktop, and a laptop for demo'ing.

The naming scheme in use thus far is famous computer scientists, I would
like to add contributors to the free software or opensource movement, in
addition, any other good names for a computer.

My (personal) list is
Shuttleworth - canonical / ubuntu
Linus Torvalds
Behlendorf - apache*
* Lessig - creative commons
O'Reilly - tech books

But, there certainly are better names, so feel free to send in your own pick
to this list. And we'll be choosing a name once we've settled on one, or
three.

and read below for a snip of last years postings on this subject...

Forwarded conversation