[opensource] Microsoft Dreamspark

Peter Dietz dietz.72 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 20 23:47:47 EST 2008

I brought this up at work, and a co-worker and I were absolutely stunned at
this. To authenticate yourself as a student, after (signing into live, and
then) choosing OSU, you then authenticate via shibboleth (osu's
authentication service) using your name.#

ohh, and these tools would cost alot of money if you were to have to buy
them.

side note, at the swe career fair yesterday, several companies looking for
CompSci students mentioned that they are a .NET shop, so yes, the empire is
certainly making a strong move by training and arming students with
knowledge of the .NET stack.

ohh Microsoft...from
xkcd.com<http://www.google.com/reader/view/feed/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.xkcd.com%2Frss.xml>
[image: Real programmers set the universal constants at the start such that
the universe evolves to contain the disk with the data they want.]

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 8:55 AM, Marc Uhrich <
uhrich.1 at gradsch.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

>  Microsoft is now offering their developer and design tools to students at
> no charge.  Since this is a mailing list of developers, I thought it might
> be a nice opportunity for people to get their hands on SQL Server 2005
> Developer Edition, Visual Studio 2008 or Windows Server 2003.
>

> In order to relate this to the topic of open source, I'd have to say it is
> an ingenuous tactic by Microsoft to try to hook the kids while they're
> young.   I know many developers that stuck with open source or portable
> languages exclusively because they grew proficient with them in college.
> Developers who only know how to use Microsoft products will require
> businesses to purchase at the very least a server product and a copy of the
> developer product.  Seems like the empire is striking back……
>

> Linkage
>
> https://downloads.channel8.msdn.com/Products.aspx
>

> Marc Uhrich
>
> Systems Engineer @ OSU Graduate School
>
> 247 University Hall, 230 N Oval Mall
>
> Columbus, Ohio  43210
>
> (614) 292-0600

==
Peter Dietz

Computer & Information Science -- The Ohio State University