[opensource] Microsoft Dreamspark

Marc Uhrich uhrich.1 at gradsch.ohio-state.edu
Thu Feb 21 09:50:49 EST 2008

They have been giving out the "express" version of Visual Studio and SQL
Server.  However, these products have limited functionality and some
other unhappy restrictions.  Also, 2008 doesn't have an express version
at this time.

Additionally, you can get a trial version of Windows Server 2003 to run
for free but unless you want to crack it or reinstall every 90 (or 120 I
can't remember) days it isn't really an option.  So having your own key
is handy.

Finally, I don't know a ton about the XNA Game Studio.  However, I do
know that there is some limitation to deploying games unless you have a
subscription to the Creators Club.  DreamSpark offers a yearly
subscription for free, so that's nice.

All in all, if you must dance with the devil from time to time having
access to this software for free is a nice treat.  Peter is right that
purchasing all of this would be extremely expensive.

I read somewhere that people were turned off to open source software
because it's free and if they could get a pay product for free there
would be more of a perceived value.  The get what you pay for argument
may be steering people off track in relation to open source.  I'm not
saying it's true, but it is interesting to think about.
Marc Uhrich
Systems Engineer @ OSU Graduate School
247 University Hall, 230 N Oval Mall
Columbus, Ohio  43210