[opensource] Microsoft Dreamspark

Brian Swaney swaney.29 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 21 13:50:42 EST 2008

I was asking if Microsoft had been stingy with their developers' code
before. I don't care about the fact that there is a trial/full version
(I think some developers would like syntax errors highlighted before
they try to compile), but the idea of locking people into a proprietary
operating system.

XNA, if I recall correctly, requires a subscription for you to be able
to make actual (working) XBox game CDs. You can program it and all, and
even format the ISO, but the XBox will only  support games signed and
blessed by Microsoft. You can play it by hooking the computer to the
XBox though. Anyway, according to ntSig's speaker, in order to make your
own game disk, you have to send it to Microsoft with a fee (can't
remember how much) so they can make sure it doesn't do anything crazy
like add a Linux partition or anything. Then they send it back to you,
signed, and you can mass-produce it.

Having it for free isn't too great of a problem itself, but it's sort of
a trap for Windows users to prevent them from developing things in
competing OSes. I'm sure it works great (just a guess, never used it
before) under Windows, so perhaps if someone wrote their code in emacs
or vi, then ported it to Windows, it would make things a tad easier,
unless Microsoft is fighting those languages.

-Brian Swaney

NOTE: If you respond to this e-mail, please use your OSU-provided address,
unless otherwise specified. In order to block spam, any e-mails sent here
without an osu.edu or xxx.ohio-state.edu domain will not be received and
the sender can expect returned mail. If you do not have an OSU address, I
have probably already added you to a "trusted senders" list, and you
should be able to continue communications as normal. In the event that
you do not have an OSU address, and cannot reach me, please send an e-mail
to my address of Lavagolemking at aol.com letting me know who you are, what
you need to reach me for, and what addresses you're using so I can unblock
them.

Please also note that sending OSU mail from a GMail account will show up
as the GMail account. If the GMail account is not on a trusted senders
list, even if the From: address is trusted, the message will not be
delivered. If you encounter this, please send your first e-mail from
https://webmail.osu.edu/ and in that e-mail tell me the GMail address you
are using, and I will whitelist it. All following messages may then be
sent from either the GMail or OSU account. Sorry for any inconvenience
this may have caused.