[opensource] regex help!

William (Bill) E. Triest III triest.1 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 22 15:55:48 EST 2008

All,

Sorry for replying to my own message. I made an error in my first post,
so I thought I should clarify it.  Previously I said that the first
grouping would allow numbers, but that was only true for the perl
regex.  I also realized I didn't explain why it matched very well nor
did I point out that it would actually match any string containing that
substring.

The problem with what I've provided so far is that it could match
12baronda.2foo because it contains a matching substring.   In perl you
could fix this by perpending the regex with ^ and ending it with $ and
according to wikipedia that's true for POSIX regex's but it may not be
the case for all regex implementations.

Generically:  [a-zA-Z]+\.[0-9]+

Also, I think some lastname.n's include hyphens, so you'll want to add
them into the regex if that's really what you are trying to match.
Also, depending on what you're trying to do with this, I think there are
OSU identifiers can take other forms, although it rare (I know magnus
definately can, but I thought some of the newer ones could also). If
that's what you are trying to match I would suggest trying:
[a-zA-Z\-]+\.[0-9]+

I'll break it down to explain:

[a-zA-Z\-]+
[] are grouping, and a-z says lowercase letters, A-Z upper case letters
I'm not positive on the \- for including the literal hyphen, but try
it.  If you only want lowercase letters then just put [a-z] The + at the
end tells it to have one or more matching in that group

\.  (backslash then a period) means period (backslash to escape it so
that its a literal period since period has a special meaning in regex's)
[0-9]+ is another character grouping, but this time only digits.  Again
the + means one or more numbers
tcut.

Hope this helps and sorry for multiple posts,
Bill