[opensource] Winter Quarter

Peter Dietz dietz.72 at osu.edu
Sun Jan 6 18:46:35 EST 2008

Hey Everyone,

Some interesting news...

**We have funding for purchasing computer equipment for our lab, which
should make things nicer, and for those who hang out there, more productive.
And also for meetings and events we should be able to have a linux
machine to tote around with us. So we need to discus, and purchase some new
(or used but still good) equipment for a nice office.

**The Computer Science department has waited until now to unveil an exciting
new sequence/major/minor program, which I would have loved to have had
available when I was a freshman/sophomore. It is called the IT
entrepreneurship program for Computer Science students aka NEWPATH.
http://cse.osu.edu/ugrad/newpathhome.shtml

=== SNIP ===
*NEWPATH Objectives*: NEWPATH is an NSF-supported program that has been set
up at Ohio State with the mission to educate, train and nurture highly
motivated students to become IT entrepreneurs of the information age. The
most ambitious students will, by the time of graduation, be running their
own IT startups and be ready to become the next generation of business and
technology leaders of the IT world.
**
*Details*:

   - *What*: Information about NEWPATH, a new IT entrepreneurship program
   for BS-CSE, BS-CIS, and BS-ECE (Computer option) students.
   - *When*: 6:00 pm, Tuesday, January 15th.
   - *Where*: To be announced.
   - *Who*: Faculty advisors for the program (see below); and students
   interested in learning about/joining the program.
   - *What else*: Pizza and pop will be served.
   - *RSVP (**required**)*: If you want to attend, please send mail to
   Prof. Bruce Weide (weide at cse.ohio-state.edu) indicating your interest.

=== END SNIP ===
 ** Our freedisk can also be found online as a website about interesting
open source software for your computer.
http://opensource.cse.ohio-state.edu/freedisk/main.html This list and site
has been developed by Brian Swaney

** Google Pizza will be something I will be doing out of our lab at times
throughout the quarter from our office. Basically we have money for pizza
(or other food) for Computer Science (or other like minded) students here on
campus, and its free for the eating. I'll just need to schedule, or post
times of when one can find pizza at the office.

Upcoming talks...

** Livescribe ( a private company) has created a digital ink-pen that can
record audio and also digitize your notes. Their soon to be released product
has an SDK for creating apps that use this data, and they would like to give
a talk this quarter. http://www.livescribe.com/platform/index.html

** Ruby on Rails has been something that many of you are interested in know
more about, perhaps we can get a talk about some of its cool features and
other development examples can be done.
** {Insert your talk here} -- We all know that I can only blab on for so
long about Google, slashdot, and the like, so help make Open Source here at
Ohio State more interesting by giving a talk on a topic that you are
knowledgeable on.

Meetings...
As a result of a poll on our website ( which had 9 total votes :(  )
Mondays and Thursdays seem to be favored days, with Wednesdays and Tuesdays
trailing behind.

This Monday is a big game, so no meeting that day, so Thursday the 10th
should work.
Expect an official announcement as I reserve a room for the meeting this
week.

---
I wish everyone the best this quarter academically, and whatever-ally you
may be up to.

--
==
Peter Dietz

Computer Science & Engineering -- The Ohio State University