[opensource] Winter Quarter

Peter Dietz dietz.72 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 7 17:02:45 EST 2008

The concern that best fits the goal of the Open Source Club that you posted
a while back would be...

>I download JUnit again and find the readme page this time.  Although the
installation instruction in the readme page looks simple enough, I am sure
there are more into it.  If anyone installs JUnit separately as a plugin in
Eclipse, and could post what you observe, I'd appreciate it.

I've only used Eclipse for an Android project, which makes me no expert, but
I'm sure our friend Google could be helpful
http://www.google.com/search?q=junit+eclipse

Your other concern (philosophical / purpose) raised is...

>What I can't seem to understand is that the  newsgroup and other cse hosted
newsgroups are members only, and the availablity of them is not publicized.
That is I have no rules, no agreements to follow when I have questions to
ask and I have no way to know what is considered to be acceptable questions,
what is not, and how to conduct myself and what to comply with.  Under such
circumstances, there are no hopes for fixes, no work-arounds to the
forbidden territory, no communications are possible, except for heading
toward the uncurable, the unsolvable, the dead end.  That is truly "god
forbidden", and it is dragging the entire human structure down, that would
take the unimaginable to rebuild.  Yes I mean civilization!  I mean we need
a civilized regualtions to follow in our daily life.

I would recommend reading our constitution
http://opensource.cse.ohio-state.edu/about/constitution which loosely states
that
"It is important to recognize the danger that bureaucracy can get in the way
of doing cool things. ", which is why we do not have rules or posted
standards for posting to the group. As the Open Source club, we might work
to build up a better civilization, but it would be through building better
software tools, which will hopefully provide a better technological
infrastructure for the "entire human structure".

In addition, our club makes no promises and has no service-level-agreements,
so responses will be hit-or-miss. Relevant topics that are of wide interest
(some great new technology...) to everyone have a high chance of response,
and postings that might be outside the scope of most people's specialty and
especially postings during finals week or during breaks have lesser chances
of a response.

On Jan 7, 2008 3:05 PM, Joy Wang <joycwang at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> [...]
> most ambitious students will, by the time of graduation, be running their
> own IT startups and be ready to become the next generation of business and
> technology leaders of the IT world.
> **
> *Details*:
>
>    - *What*: Information about NEWPATH, a new IT entrepreneurship
>    program for BS-CSE, BS-CIS, and BS-ECE (Computer option) students.
>    - *When*: 6:00 pm, Tuesday, January 15th.
>    - *Where*: To be announced.
>    - *Who*: Faculty advisors for the program (see below); and students
>    interested in learning about/joining the program.
>    - *What else*: Pizza and pop will be served.
>    - *RSVP (**required**)*: If you want to attend, please send mail to
>    Prof. Bruce Weide (weide at cse.ohio-state.edu) indicating your
>    interest.
>
> === END SNIP ===
>  ** Our freedisk can also be found online as a website about interesting
> open source software for your computer. http://opensource.cse.ohio-state.edu/freedisk/main.html
>  This list and site has been developed by Brian Swaney
>
> ** Google Pizza will be something I will be doing out of our lab at times
> throughout the quarter from our office. Basically we have money for pizza
> (or other food) for Computer Science (or other like minded) students here on
> campus, and its free for the eating. I'll just need to schedule, or post
> times of when one can find pizza at the office.
>

> Upcoming talks...
>
> ** Livescribe ( a private company) has created a digital ink-pen that can
> record audio and also digitize your notes. Their soon to be released product
> has an SDK for creating apps that use this data, and they would like to give
> a talk this quarter. http://www.livescribe.com/platform/index.html
>
> ** Ruby on Rails has been something that many of you are interested in
> know more about, perhaps we can get a talk about some of its cool features
> and other development examples can be done.
> ** {Insert your talk here} -- We all know that I can only blab on for so
> long about Google, slashdot, and the like, so help make Open Source here at
> Ohio State more interesting by giving a talk on a topic that you are
> knowledgeable on.
>
> Meetings...
> As a result of a poll on our website ( which had 9 total votes :(  )
> Mondays and Thursdays seem to be favored days, with Wednesdays and
> Tuesdays trailing behind.
>
> This Monday is a big game, so no meeting that day, so Thursday the 10th
> should work.
> Expect an official announcement as I reserve a room for the meeting this
> week.
>
> ---
> I wish everyone the best this quarter academically, and whatever-ally you
> may be up to.
>
> --
> ==
> Peter Dietz
>
> Computer Science & Engineering -- The Ohio State University

==