[opensource] VPN + OSU + Linux

Brian Swaney swaney.29 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 18 20:48:50 EDT 2008

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Well, it returns a bunch of compiler errors. I am guessing it doesn't
like the Ubuntu headers. They're in /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-16/
right?<br>
The interaction is as follows:<br>
Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin] /usr/include<br>
Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes] yes<br>
In order to build the VPN kernel module, you must have the<br>
kernel headers for the version of the kernel you are running.<br>
For RedHat 6.x users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux by
default<br>
For RedHat 7.x users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux-2.4 by
default<br>
For Suse 7.3 users these files are installed in
/usr/src/linux-2.4.10.SuSE by default<br>
Directory containing linux kernel source code
[/lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/build] /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-16/<br>
* Binaries will be installed in "/usr/include".<br>
* Modules will be installed in
"/lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/CiscoVPN".<br>
* The VPN service will be started AUTOMATICALLY at boot time.<br>
* Kernel source from "/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-16/" will be used
to build the module.<br>
Is the above correct [y] yes<br>
Making module<br>
Create module directory "/lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/CiscoVPN".<br>
Copying module to directory "/lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/CiscoVPN".<br>
Creating start/stop script "/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init".<br>
Enabling start/stop script for run level 3,4 and 5.<br>
Creating VPN configuration file
"/etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/vpnclient.ini".<br>
Installing license.txt (VPN Client license) in
"/etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/":<br>
Installing bundled user profiles in
"/etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/Profiles/":<br>
* New Profiles&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; : OSUnet sample <br>
Copying binaries to directory "/usr/include".<br>
Setting permissions.<br>
/usr/include/cvpnd (setuid root)<br>
/etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient (world writeable)<br>
/etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/Profiles (world writeable)<br>
/etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/Certificates (world writeable)<br>
* You may wish to change these permissions to restrict access to root.<br>
* You must run "/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start" before using the
client.<br>
* This script will be run AUTOMATICALLY every time you reboot your
computer.<br>
&nbsp;-------------------------------------------<br>
Then it returns a series of compiler errors that don't fit into one
terminal window, a few of which I attached as a GZipped file. I told
their IT staff about it mentioning older versions of Linux, and they
said they updated it, but running diff on the 2 seperate files returned
nothing, and my download count from osusls.osu.edu didn't reset. I also
get the same errors from it. I have tried a patched version from
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://tuxx-home.at/archives/2007/04/10/T15_55_43/">http://tuxx-home.at/archives/2007/04/10/T15_55_43/</a> as well as switching
to several other directories.<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-Brian Swaney

NOTE: If you respond to this e-mail, please use your OSU-provided address,
unless otherwise specified. In order to block spam, any e-mails sent here
without an osu.edu or xxx.ohio-state.edu domain will not be received and
the sender can expect returned mail. If you do not have an OSU address, I
have probably already added you to a "trusted senders" list, and you
should be able to continue communications as normal. In the event that
you do not have an OSU address, and cannot reach me, please send an e-mail
to my address of <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:Lavagolemking at aol.com">Lavagolemking at aol.com</a> letting me know who you are, what
you need to reach me for, and what addresses you're using so I can unblock
them.

Please also note that sending OSU mail from a GMail account will show up
as the GMail account. If the GMail account is not on a trusted senders
list, even if the From: address is trusted, the message will not be
delivered. If you encounter this, please send your first e-mail from
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://webmail.osu.edu/">https://webmail.osu.edu/</a> and in that e-mail tell me the GMail address you
are using, and I will whitelist it. All following messages may then be
sent from either the GMail or OSU account. Sorry for any inconvenience
this may have caused.
</pre>
William R. Lorenz wrote:
 cite="midPine.LNX.4.64.0803181724220.10131 at pluto.express.org"
 type="cite">Brian,
You're probably referring to the Cisco VPN client and the PCF file and
all that happy jazz?&nbsp; I know there's a Linux version of the client that
should work as long as they don't push out a firewall requirement to
the clients.
What issues are you specifically experiencing with the VPN client
config?