[opensource] recent recap of meetings, ohio linux fest, and random news

Peter Dietz dietz.72 at osu.edu
Sun Oct 12 17:01:35 EDT 2008

Hey Everyone,
To anyone receiving these emails for the first (or second) time, this is the
opensource club at ohio state mailing list. You can also check us out
online, http://opensource.cse.ohio-state.edu/.<http://opensource.cse.ohio-state.edu/>

Recap...
Our last meeting was definitely interesting. Of all the meetings that we've
had, I would have to say, this one was one of the best. The best part wasn't
even necessarily the meeting, or perhaps the original intent of the meeting.
Brian's speech on net neutrality was certainly the topic, but we ordered
pizza, 5 from gumby's. It was destroyed within minutes of arriving, so we
re-ordered, and that went quickly as well. So it was a full house, probably
30+ people, the room was full. Farhad, our dear friend who's living the
dream at Microsoft stopped by, and told us how things are coding for
Microsoft, and how he's sad that he started the week after Bill's going away
party.

Additionally, I chatted with our pizza guy when he delivered, said we were
opensource, and he just happens to be a very active coder who's got some
pretty sweet projects he's working on, and was a definite treat to have.

Ohio Linux Fest was over the weekend, on Saturday, and there were some cool
presentations, and I'm now interested in seeing if I too can destroy our
Solar System in python.

==========
Additionally, with our office becoming more useful, we have a well stocked
library, this doc link shall serve as our library collection, until our
library website comes online, and public facing.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pFhtRRVq2AtB92MWgYWBCcg
There's no hard and fast rules set forth yet about checking books out, but
local use is always permitted. There's also some CSE textbooks. We'd like to
thank everyone who has contributed to our book collection.

Also, with having an office, I suppose if you're having a computer issue,
you'd have better luck resolving it in the office with someone around to
help you. Sorry, no lan drops available though, just osuwireless.

And they have a really neat buildbot that sort of schedules builds, and does
automatic testing that looks cool.,
http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/waterfall/waterfall

--
==