[opensource] Forums VS Mailing List: which one do we want to use for communication

Aaron Joseph joseph.181 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 26 12:35:53 EDT 2008

Our club currently does all of its communication through this mailing-list,
which seems to work very well. However, Brian Swaney wants to switch over to
using forums to do all of our communication, which would mean the mailing
list would be removed and instead of getting emails about
announcements/questions you would just keep checking the forums to see if
anything new has been added.

I personally want to just keep the mailing list and remove the forums from
the site because I'm guessing that almost no-one is going to want to keep
logging in to the club website to see if anything new shows up on the
forums... however I want to give everyone a chance to vote on the matter
before I take down the forums because maybe I'm wrong about this and people
would actually prefer forums.

If you aren't aware of this yet, the club has a website [
http://opensource.cse.ohio-state.edu/  ] and in the left sidebar there is a
link to the forums (after you've logged in). Here is a direct link to the
forums page so you can check them out and see if you want to keep them [
http://opensource.cse.ohio-state.edu/forum  ].

Please either reply to this email or use the poll that is located on the
club website (you have to log in to the site before you'll see it appear in
the right sidebar) and let us know what you prefer. This is especially
important if you are someone who would reply to the mailing-list but
wouldn't ever check the forums (or the other way around). I want to make
sure that the club has whatever form of communication it wants most, but we
cant have both because people definitely aren't going to use both.

Aaron Joseph