[opensource] Forums VS Mailing List: which one do we want to use for communication

Zhenqing Li li.885 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 26 13:22:36 EDT 2008

Hi~ Aaron. Both forum and mailing list have their advantages and
disadvantages. How about adopting to the Google Group? By using that you can
choose to receive each email/abridge email or viewing like a online forum.

Best,
Zhenqing

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 12:35, Aaron Joseph <joseph.181 at osu.edu> wrote:

> Our club currently does all of its communication through this mailing-list,
> which seems to work very well. However, Brian Swaney wants to switch over to
> using forums to do all of our communication, which would mean the mailing
> list would be removed and instead of getting emails about
> announcements/questions you would just keep checking the forums to see if
> anything new has been added.
>
> I personally want to just keep the mailing list and remove the forums from
> the site because I'm guessing that almost no-one is going to want to keep
> logging in to the club website to see if anything new shows up on the
> forums... however I want to give everyone a chance to vote on the matter
> before I take down the forums because maybe I'm wrong about this and people
> would actually prefer forums.
>
> If you aren't aware of this yet, the club has a website [
> http://opensource.cse.ohio-state.edu/  ] and in the left sidebar there is
> a link to the forums (after you've logged in). Here is a direct link to the
> forums page so you can check them out and see if you want to keep them [
> http://opensource.cse.ohio-state.edu/forum  ].
>
> Please either reply to this email or use the poll that is located on the
> club website (you have to log in to the site before you'll see it appear in
> the right sidebar) and let us know what you prefer. This is especially
> important if you are someone who would reply to the mailing-list but
> wouldn't ever check the forums (or the other way around). I want to make
> sure that the club has whatever form of communication it wants most, but we
> cant have both because people definitely aren't going to use both.
>

> Aaron Joseph

Zhenqing Li
Materials Science & Engineering (Emphasis on Cardiovascular Tissue
Engineering)
477 Watts Hall
Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering
The Ohio State University
2041 College Rd.
Columbus, OH, 43210, USA
Tel: (614)-688-5349