[opensource] Re: [opensource-announce] MEETING [10/2] : Introduction to Linux

Brian Swaney swaney.29 at osu.edu
Mon Sep 29 10:12:45 EDT 2008

richard hornsby wrote:
> Apologies if these things are already included in your outline.  A
> follow-up to this presentation might be showing how easy a daily task
> like OpenOffice is (remember to save the file as a word doc before
> taking it to a lab or turning it in!).  This might include setting up
> a printer to put that masterpiece of an essay on paper.  One place
> where I can see frustration on the desktop (post-install) is
> multimedia, especially when it comes to things like mp3s, DVDs, or
> websites with mpeg/wma/quicktime content.  Firefox tries to be helpful
> and suggest a plugin, but what happens when it can't or it comes up
> with the dreaded "manual install" button?

I usually keep them in openoffice format and submit PDFs. Instructors
aren't allowed to penalize you for not using proprietary software unless
it's immediately related to the course (such as a couple Microsoft
Office classes for business majors). Demos of included software can't
hurt though...

One thing I'd like to see is how to mount my home folder as a separate
partition, so OS installations don't requiring backing up of files.

-Brian Swaney