[opensource] Re: Opensource Digest, Vol 68, Issue 1

Patrick Shuff shuff.12 at osu.edu
Thu Dec 17 00:51:17 EST 2009

I am a frequent user of emacs and have found a lot of helpful little tricks
along the way.

Just for reference:
M-x = alt-x
C-x = ctrl-x

1.  I would highly recommend going through the emacs tutorial.  It covers
many of the basics of emacs and how to navigate without moving your hand
from the home keys. It can be accessed by: M-x help-with-tutorial

2. If you are trying to find out what an emacs key does, just do: "C-h k"
then press the key you want to be described to you.

3. If you are looking for a command, do: "C-h a" and it will provide a
prompt that is similar to the apropos command to search all available emacs
functions!

4. do: "C-h C-h" and it will list the help functions that i just described
plus a ton more.

5. Macros (hence Extensible MACroS) are my favorite feature of emacs.  They
save so much time.

Emacs is very well documented in itself.  Just finding that documentation
can be a challenge if you don't know where to look.

Here are two emacs posts by a fellow I work with, who is an emacs god:
Essential Emacs
Knowledge<http://jonebird.com/2008/09/18/essential-emacs-knowledge/%20%20>
Emacs Registers and
Bookmarks<http://jonebird.com/2009/06/24/emacs-registers-and-bookmarks/>

The second may be for those who have already had some experience in emacs.

Also check out emacs' own site at: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

But i digress.  Emacs is an incredibly powerful tool, and I use it nearly
every day.  It is also great because many of the key-bindings are the same
as bash uses (e.g. C-a, C-k, C-b, M-b, M-f, etc) so if you are proficient in
shell, you may be partly there already! :)  At any rate learning emacs will
help you in all facets of your *nix-ing.

Patrick

I have difficulty finding things in the Emacs documentation (or