[opensource] best phone company

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Tue Dec 22 10:14:34 EST 2009

I got my iPhone last December, and I've been mostly happy with it. You
have to know, going in, that you're going to be living in Apple's
walled garden. You need iTunes to do anything useful with your iPhone.
Also, for all the accolades that Apple receives for their products,
there are some real problems with functionality and UI. The lack of
background apps has recently really started to grate on me: every time
I want to reply to a text message, I have to close my current app,
open the SMS app, compose and send my reply, close the SMS app and
then go back to what I was doing. Ugh.

I'd love to get an Android phone. I like the premise of Android
development, even though I'll likely never do any development for it
myself. I like the ide of not being locked into iTunes to do stuff
with my phone. I'm eager to see how the smartphone space develops in
the coming months.