[opensource] best phone company

Peter Dietz dietz.72 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 22 10:15:32 EST 2009

I have the Droid on Verizon, and I love it.

First reactions were that if I "were a user" I would probably just want an
iPhone, for its smooth / easiness factor.

However, I'm an Enginerd so I love it even more that I can open a python
shell within the phone, write four lines of code, and I just created an app
that can scan a QR barcode, send the text to Google Translate, and have it
"robot speak" the output translation for me. Thats a thumbs up for the
Android platform and Google, not necessarily Motorola or Verizon. The
hardware is pretty good, the battery case falls off more than it should,
probably because the battery life is terrible, like full Christmas morning
"new toy" playing with it will drain the battery in about 3 hours or less,
so just moderate your usage to when you're around a USB port, or buy like 7
extra batteries to make it through a full day. Verizon coverage, I've had no
problems, on a shared plan its only about $50 (10VOICE + 5SMS + 5INS +
30DATA), which is reasonable.

I believe the openness of the Android platform is truly contagious, as its
free for carriers, and free for Developers to easily make additions. And one
reason why there's currently 10,000 apps instead of 100,000 apps, is
somewhat a testament to the *nix architectural philosophy. Build a tool that
does one thing well (, and have it take parameters). Apps re-use the Barcode
Scanner app by passing parameters / getting output, instead of cloning it
for use in their app. I expect Android to continue to have phenomenal
growth, with speculation of perhaps 50 new phones running Android in 2010.
So your choice will continue to get better as time goes on. (to speak
nothing of carriers).

If I were not in a contract for the next 22 months, I would be looking hard
at the next move by Google. Maybe they'll name the Nexus One, the "Dark
Fiber".

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:22 AM, richard hornsby <me at rhornsby.org> wrote:

> Just saw this on /. ... anyone considering VZW might want to rethink
> it if this is the type of BS they're going to shove down customer's
> throats, and then pretend it was such a great thing.
>
> "Verizon has unilaterally updated user Storm 2 BlackBerries and other
> smartphones so that their browser search boxes can only be used with
> Microsoft Bing.
>
> The move is part of the five-year search and advertising deal Verizon
> signed with Microsoft in January for a rumored $500m."
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/19/verizon_snuffs_google_for_bing/
>
> I would say that the VZW "suck factor" just went up - if for no other
> reason than forcibly removing, without consent, the user's choice.

Peter Dietz
Systems Developer/Engineer
Ohio State University Libraries