[opensource] best phone company

Daniel Murry murry.8 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 22 11:59:50 EST 2009

I second just about everything Peter Dietz said.  I have had the Motorola
Droid on VZW since Thanksgiving and absolutely love it.

I waited for the right time to jump in on a smart phone.  The combination of
Motorola, Google and VZW made me feel like this was the right time for it to
happen.  It just "does" everything I want it to do, easily.  Take for
instance, changing a song into a ring tone can be done in about three taps.
>From what I understand, iTunes must be used to do this on the iPhone.  In
fact, doesn't iTunes have to be used to do all syncing on the iPhone?  I
much prefer USB mounting to retrieve anything on the *removable *microSD
card.  It's definitely a more dorky phone than the iPhone, but that's what
it was advertised to be.  The Droid has NONE of the locked features that
everyone else is complaining about on other VZW phones.  You can even use
Google Voice to have free "VisualVoiceMail".

In the past, I have had AT&T (2000-2002), T-Mobile (2002-2005) and VZW
(2005-Current).  It would not be fair for me to really compare coverage
areas at this time since each one has really expanded since I last had
them.  I will have to say though that AT&T and T-Mobile used to drop a ton
of calls when I had them.  T-Mobile DID NOT work inside my aluminum sided
house on N. 4th St, when I had almost full service outside.  Similar
experiences happened inside brick buildings, elevators, etc.  I think it is
just the nature/wavelengths of GSM over CDMA.  Does anyone know for sure?

I do find it laughable that anything other than an Android phone is being
considered by someone in the open source club.  ;-)

Dan Murry
OSU Alum 2007

Daniel Murry

Contact: