[opensource] Printing files from the command line

richard hornsby me at rhornsby.org
Fri Feb 6 17:45:16 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Brian Swaney <swaney.29 at osu.edu> wrote:

> OpenOffice 3 converts .doc and .docx files into PDF, along with a few other
> formats. If you are willing/able to use OpenOffice (non-command-line
> program) to print, then you should be able to use the PDF converter to get
> your desired postscript.
>
> I don't know of any command-line utilities for reading Microsoft Office
> format files.

I don't know of any existing command line tools either.  However, I have
used Perl to get data in and out of Excel binary files, so I checked CPAN
real quick.  I found Word::Writer, but haven't used it myself.  It is called
'Writer' but it looks like there is an Open() method.  Where YMMV greatly
(as with anything you find re: MSOffice) is in the loss of formatting.  It
may also require Windows+Office to work, being a Win32 module.

http://search.cpan.org/~johanl/Win32-Word-Writer-0.02/lib/Win32/Word/Writer.pm

OpenOffice may have arguments or hooks that would allow you to push in a
Word doc and get back a PDF without having to do it through the GUI.

http://www.wynia.org/wordpress/word-to-pdf-converter-in-php-word2pdf/  uses
OO, but with windows COM.  Maybe there is something equivalent available in
the linux OO version?

-rj