[opensource] Printing files from the command line

Aaron Joseph bonesawosu at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 21:08:46 EST 2009

> *I meant ugly, actually. They completely re-did the interface to make it
> look like Vista. I don't like the appearance of Vista (or speed, or...
> anything) and released along-side it I don't suspect that logo up at the
> time where you find all your menus is really that great. I don't like what
> I've seen of it,
> *

I guess that's just a matter of opinion. I personally feel that the one
thing that Microsoft got right when they made vista was the look. It's still
nowhere near as sexy as anything you'll get from apple... but compared to xp
or 98, Vista is far more visually appealing.

*I don't like Vista, and therefore I'm not going to go and spend several
> hundred dollars on Microsoft's newest version and discover everything you
> say is great about it when OpenOffice, at a much lesser price, does
> everything I need of it, including (with a plug-in) edit PDFs.*

Pay for software?!! Do people even still do that? You can get any software
for free if you ask around. Speaking of which.... does anyone have a CS4 or
Adobe Audition key?

*
*

> *OpenOffice doesn't "destroy" formatting, but is not fully compatible with
> Microsoft Office's ever-changing and (usually) proprietary formats.
> Sometimes formatting (margins, etc.) is a little off, but that's related to
> the OS's installed fonts, not the program itself. If you had identical
> fonts, you'd keep the same formatting.*

I have the entire Adobe FontFolio (which is like 3000 fonts) installed on my
desktop and OO still breaks things when it opens them. So I think there is
more to it than just the fonts.

Vista is not stable, or by any other means a good operating system, but to
> be fair, it doesn't crash AS often as you're implying. I has only crashed
> once or twice for me at this point (though I boot it maybe a couple times
> per week on a computer I had for a few months), which was during a
> defragment (bad timing, I know).

Do you have sp1 installed? I got rid of vista long before that came out.
Also, the less you use it the less it is likely to crash, so probability may
be playing a role in this. Another thing is that 3-4 crashes a month is a
lot when you compare to Linux which only crashes maybe 1-2 times a year.

*OneNote is available for no charge to CIS/CSE students via SOC lab in both
> 2003 and 2007. I got it mainly because you can take screenshots by pressing
> [WIN]+[S], but from what I've seen it runs well. I don't use it because
> Vista is not my primary operating system, but I might consider it if it ran
> in Ubuntu.
> *

I might have it installed already since I have to version of MS Office that
comes with everything.

I don't get the screenshots thing. You can always take screenshots by using
[print screen]  or  [alt] + [print screen]   (depending on if you want the
full desktop or just the current Window. I don't see that as being a good
use of OneNote... although I could be misunderstanding what you meant.

--Aaron Joseph