[opensource] Printing files from the command line

Razvan Lupusoru lupusoru.1 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 6 22:43:24 EST 2009

I honestly do not understand why so many people complain about Vista
crashes. I have had it as the main Operating System on both my desktop and
my laptop for quite a while now and it has never crashed on either. The
Vista kernel itself is very stable and I bet that most crashes that people
experience are caused by buggy drivers installed. It could also crash
because of misconfigured BIOSes when it comes to memory timings and such.

As for OneNote, it is very useful as a note manager for a smartphone. I use
it on my Samsung Blackjack and sync between my OneNote notes from my
desktop. You can use it for things like Shopping Lists etc.

IMHO, the whole Office 2007 Suite is the best piece of software that I use.
I find it faster, more full featured, and easier to use than OpenOffice.org
3. However, I have never used the plugin Brian is talking about with editing
pdfs and that seems like a nice feature. I am not sure about Linux, but in
Windows you can install pdf printers (like PrimoPDF and PDFCreator) and you
can print your documents to pdf format.

As for paying for software, I think many people still do that because it
seems that a lot of software companies are still in business. I buy a lot of
my software because I know that I am entering a professional field. However,
a nice perk of being a CSE or ECE major is having access to the MSDNAA
program which has a lot of free* software (*which I am sure we pay for in
other ways).

I find it so weird that I wrote this whole e-mail praising Microsoft
products when two years ago I was such an avid Linux enthusiast. I have been
a Linux user for many years on and off (since about 2001) but its many
deficiencies always make me switch back to Windows. And on a final note, the
only real complaint I have about Vista is that when I used to have 4GB of
RAM and I would turn off my Page File, I would actually get low memory
warnings. Since then I have upgraded to 8GB and have my paging turned off
and it seems that Vista's precaching does not fill up my memory to a point
that I run out of memory. I like the overall idea of SuperFetch because I
don't have "wasted" RAM.

Razvan Lupusoru

 <mailto:razvan.lupusoru at gmail.com> razvan.lupusoru at gmail.com

 <http://www.lupusoru.com/> http://www.lupusoru.com