[opensource] Printing files from the command line

Brian Swaney swaney.29 at osu.edu
Sat Feb 7 00:11:49 EST 2009

Timothy Normand Miller wrote:
> Note that as college students, we have totally legal access to a lot
> of commercial software for free.  I went to the SoC lab and asked for
> a license to WinXP Pro, and voila, I got one.  Want CS4?  Ask SoC and
> ask OIT.  At least one of them will have it and can give you free
> legal use of it for at least a year, depending on the product.
I do not believe Adobe Creative Suite X is on that list. I know this
because I took a class on Photoshop/Flash and we were required to pay
$700 for Flash or $800 for Photoshop if we wanted to work from outside
the labs. Many less commonly-used Microsoft products as well as most
versions of Windows are available for free to CS students, and
additional software is available campus-wide at http://osusls.osu.edu/.
Office 2007/2008 is available through a Microsoft contract at a
discounted price of under $100.

You can use all of this software in question, of course, in most
computer labs on campus.

-Brian Swaney