[opensource] Printing files from the command line

Shaun Rowland rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu
Sat Feb 7 02:31:08 EST 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 11:20 PM, Brian Swaney wrote:

> Indeed it is... I don't like the Apple GUI either, but I appreciate
> that (a) some people like the eye candy and (b) it simplifies things
> for people. I like things simple and with few unneeded animations,
> so I prefer a Gnome-ish desktop; that is my opinion.

I like my new Apple GUI. I don't know what you're talking about with
this "eye candy" thing :-) I think the Apple UI design is quite nice.
I'm all into Objective-C and Cocoa, so my view might be biased. This
does not detract from my appreciation of open source of course. I've
used Linux and GNU software for a really long time. That's not going
to change anytime soon. I've experienced the most inconsistent UI
design imaginable since I started using computers, so I don't know
what everyone's problem is with UIs... :-)

My off topic comment comes from the lengthy discussion about UI
design I seem to have every other day.

> I'm not into censorship or anything, but did you seriously just post
> that on the Open Source mailing list? That risks getting the mailing
> list shut down, among other things including giving our club a bad
> name. I'm sure I'm stepping out-of-line here, but you're
> representing the entire Open Source Club, and that gives us a bad
> name, however much we hate the DMCA or software patents. There are
> other people who read this list, including the CS&E staff who manage
> the server the list is on (one faculty advisor, for example, not to
> mention names...).

The CSE staff member who manages the server the list runs on and
the "faculty" advisor happens to actually read the list. As long as no
one posts a license key or openly breaks the law, censorship is not
an issue. I hate the DMCA and I think software patents are a joke for
the most part (if not completely). I agree that this is not something
to advocate, and what is said reflects on the club. On that note, I
would appreciate it if no one responds with an Adobe Audition key
to the list. I *really* don't want to be "the man" here. I am so
not "the man" despite possibly seeming that way on occasion perhaps.
I don't expect such a response on the list, but please don't make
my life difficult :-)
--
Shaun Rowland
rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu