[opensource] Printing files from the command line

Shaun Rowland rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu
Sat Feb 7 17:46:52 EST 2009

On Feb 7, 2009, at 2:25 PM, Aaron Joseph wrote:

> Also, I never asked anyone to send me the key, I just wondered if
> someone has successfully gotten it from soc lab or oit or some other
> legal source. And it seems like the answer is that no-one like soc
> lab or oit has it for free.

That is a little much to infer from what was stated. I am not going
to dwell on this. I gave my nudge about the subject.

> Shaun, no-one is going to think you're "the man" for trying to do
> what's right. However you could have helped me out a little when I
> was trying to argue why RESOLVE sucks at that UG forum!

:-)

Heh. I really don't want to start a big discussion about Resolve.
But I can't resist giving my current impression - at least a little.
It is impossible to broach the subject without writing a book.
I have seen this argument come up so many times over the years.
I knew C++ pretty well when I came into Resolve. I also used to
wonder if it might be better to use another language which would
have given me more practical experience. I can't remember how many
of the things we learned there I had picked up reading on my own
(that's pretty much how I learn for the most part), but I've
always wondered if knowing a certain amount enabled me to fly
through those courses while not having all the material sink
in as much as it could have. I am not really worried about that
now. I have a lot more experience than back then. Learning to use
a new programming language is not a big deal IMO. That's more
of a practical concern which I prefer to do on my own anyway.
The "practical" side of the argument is greatly outweighed by
the "learning the concepts" side - especially now that I am
older.

One of my problems when I was taking undergrad courses was
that I was more interested in doing things on my own instead
of doing homework... but that's another story. I am sure I'd
still have that problem, but I hope I am more disciplined now,
however it just might be hopeless :-)

Anyway, Bruce is co-director of the CSE department's Reusable
Software Research Group. He's a really smart guy. I'm sure that's
an understatement. Even if I wanted to argue about Resolve, I'd
put a _lot_ of thought into it first, probably come to the
conclusion that I'm possibly missing something that someone
who is an expert in the field knows, and then spend a lot
more time investigating it. Maybe if I wanted to argue about
it I'd end up learning even more reasons why the course sequence
is a good idea as is. Actually, I already feel that's the
case. The arguments for it being the way it is seem sound to
me. Bruce cares a lot about teaching. I am sure he's thought
about this much more than anyone else here, and he knows what
he's doing. I'm not saying that because he's a faculty member
of the department in which I work either.

If one is worried about this being a main item on their resume
and people wondering what it is, I don't see that as an argument.
It is good to not discuss the fact it was Resolve, but what you
have learned in the sequence. Besides, you'll probably have
time to learn "resume enhancing" languages before you're resume
would depend on such factors anyway. Once you know the art of
programming, picking up a "practical" language is not a big
deal I think. I've seen the Resolve argument come up over
the years, and the "practical language" argument means nothing
to me at this point.

So, my short answer is that I think the Resolve sequence is
fine - so if I spoke up, I'd end up being on the wrong side
of your battle :-)

I'll give you one seemingly supportive argument about how
I was annoyed in a group project once when two of us
wanted to use C++ and the other two said they knew real
C++ and not just Resolve... and they didn't, so it was
annoying. There are reasons why this experience was silly
however: a) Why would I ever have wanted to use C++?
b) Either language would not have made a big difference.
c) These group projects annoy me because I am a pain
to program with, caring about using white space correctly,
caring about things like using private data instead of
just making everything public (some people miss the point),
and planning out design first... using revision control.
d) It really had absolutely nothing to do with Resolve
itself. See, on the surface it seems supportive, but it
isn't :-)

I know this is all extremely way off topic. I'm bored right
now.
--
Shaun Rowland
rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu