[opensource] Printing files from the command line

Shaun Rowland rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu
Sat Feb 7 21:12:30 EST 2009

On Feb 7, 2009, at 8:28 PM, Timothy Normand Miller wrote:

> So let's not be tempted to look down on Aaron because he wants to be
> "overly practical" about programming languages.  While you, the CSE
> major, grok the separation between idea and the language you
> implement it in, you're likely missing something interesting that
> Aaron is abstracting just as well in his own field.

I don't think anyone is looking down on this. We are talking about
a core CSE course sequence here and the reason it is taught this way.
Given my experiences in the Resolve sequence, I don't see how you'd
learn Java any better than you learn C++ now. The course is not about
teaching you the language used. That's for various CSE 459 courses and
CSE 421 (which was specifically mentioned - Paul Sivilotti was there).
It has been about a decade since I took the course, so this observation
is based on a dated experience. From what I've heard, things have
not changed with respect to the goal.

Debating with Bruce about the practical aspects of the language
used in a course that has a specific goal to teach concepts is
beating a dead horse. It's been done and countered before, at
various times on long usenet threads that I am sure no one here
has read as they were expired long ago.

There's also a concern for those teaching about what tools they
can use to best accomplish the goal as well. I can't speak to
that, but I am guessing they have reasons for using C++ in this
way.
--
Shaun Rowland
rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu