[opensource] RESOLVE C++

Aaron Joseph bonesawosu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 00:57:14 EST 2009

At this point I felt like it was time to change the subject heading since
the whole printing issue was solved 3 conversations ago.

I think everyone has officially missed the point I was trying to make :(

I knew Java, C++ , C, PHP,  blah_blah_blah going into that series. So I
would have learned zero about Java had that been the language used for
221,222,321. People's responses all seem to be directed toward arguing that
it doesn't matter which language you use for the series. But that's what I'm
arguing too!!

That series isn't about learning a language at all. It's about learning
certain concepts involved with software design. Those concepts are totally
independent of language (to some extent since something like HTML wouldn't
be very useful for teaching recursion or sorting). However in order to teach
them you do need to use at least 1 language. And regardless of how much of a
language course it isn't, I don't think you can argue that you are
completely detached from learning the language that is taught. And this is
why I think Java would be a better choice of language. Even though you
wouldn't learn all the ins-and-outs of Java, you would at least (a) know
enough about it to be able to continue learning it on your own after the
series and (b) be able to add "Java" to your resume. And if you think that
adding any one specific language to a resume doesn't mean anything then
think again because I have gotten calls from companies about jobs as a
direct result of having Java listed on my resume. When I put that I knew
ActionScript on my resume I got probably 2-3 calls per day from people all
over the country wanting me to move there and make Flash stuff for them. Can
anyone else share some stories with us about companies specifically
targeting a certain language? I've heard that Microsoft only wants to see
you use C++ when you interview with them. And at career fairs I noticed that
Intel and IBM will actually circle "C" or "Assembly" if they see it on your
resume. The point I'm trying to get at here is that inside of the
221,222,321 series the language used doesn't really make a difference since
the class is about learning certain concepts and not language, but outside
of the 221,222,321 series making a simple switch in languages makes a huge
difference to anyone who makes it through the series because it's more
desirable to employers and it's easy to continue using it since it actually
has it's own compiler (please don't send responses about using gpp to
compile resolve because I already know that works as long as you have the
time to do some extra hacking to get everything setup right).

So....
Even though the 221,222,321 series is about learning certain concepts and
not certain languages, a switch to using a more popular language like java
would in the long run be more beneficial to those who take it. I don't see
how using 'INTEGER' rather than 'int' makes learning about recursion or
linked lists any easier... so it's not like making the switch is going to
make people completely unable to focus on the underlying concepts. In fact,
I would even argue that it would make it easier to learn those concepts if
students weren't trying to also learn the syntax for resolve at the same
time. And even though I keep mentioning "Java", you could use C++ or C# or
and object oriented language.... I just think that Java is the way to go
since it's cake to learn and just soooooooooooo easy to use. In the end
having only 1 language under your belt isn't the way to go. But if you spend
a year teaching concepts that require a language to be used, then you might
as well use one that is going to be meaningful outside of the series.

In conclusion.... since the 221,222,321 series is not focused on the
language itself, switching from resolve to java (or any other OO language)
wouldn't make a difference while in the series, but would make a big
difference when you got out of the series.

Hopefully this email will help clear up what I'm trying to say about using
java instead of resolve. If not then let me know and I'll try to explain it
again.

--Aaron Joseph