[opensource] RESOLVE

Aaron Joseph bonesawosu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 04:29:31 EST 2009

I think Tyler's analogy was very good. If you only spoke German (only knew
resolve) and wanted to go to a English (java [or any other "real" language)
speaking school (internship/other cse class) then you would have a harder
time keeping up. You would spend the whole time learning English (java) and
would have less time to work on the actual task at hand (actual
programming). I don't think that the languages (English and German) really
have anything to do with the overall concept he's trying to explain.... so
you should focus more on what is metaphorically being said.

Have you looked at the 221,222,321 sequence syllabus/notes lately? Resolve
C++ is definitely meant to seem like it is it's own language. That class
couldn't be any further from C++. They call 'classes' 'components' they use
'INTEGER' instead of 'int'... they pointers are checked pointers so they
aren't as cool as real pointers. You mention that it's a C++ class, but it
just isn't even close to being C++.

The class is based around Bruce Weide's research. They try to make it seem
like in software design you use 'requires' and 'ensures' clauses for
everything, and those clauses are based on these cryptic math definitions.
But in real-world development you don't do that. So why focus so much on
that? It's just not focused on the right thing. It's a huge waste of time to
force students to put Bruce's research into practice. Resolve is an idea
better left for research. You may still think resolve is a good language to
use.... but do you think it's a good idea to teach students practices that
aren't actually used in the real world? Concepts like recursion are
useful... but requires and ensure clauses aren't. If software design should
be taught with a language like resolve then why does MIT use Java in their
introductory software course? Why does Stanford use Java? It seems like
school that are producing the type of talent they do would know what to
teach. So why don't they teach resolve [or some other language that one of
their CS faculty happen to be researching] ? It's not like I'm suggesting
anything more than to switch to doing things the way other colleges do it so
that OSU students won't be behind in terms of skill/knowledge/exposure. You
can defend resolve to the death... but I just don't think resolve it worth
learning.

This might also be a good time to ensure we are all on the same page in
terms of what we are arguing. I consider resolve to include the 'requires'
and 'ensures' clauses... the parameter modes... the math definitions... and
the different syntax (INTEGER instead of int, TEXT instead of string,
COMPONENT instead of class, etc.).  That's what I want to ditch. The part
that can be transferred over to a java based course would be things like
recursion, trees, linked lists, sorting, pointers (please don't respond with
comments about java not having pointers because you could easily implement a
pointer class that is equivalent to what they use in resolve since they do
zero pointery things with the pointers they use in resolve). And java would
be able to add in things like Object Orientation, IDEs, source control (MIT
gives every student a repo to use during their entire school career),
libraries, private/public/protected, and sooo much more if they wanted.

It seems like it should be a simple argument... a SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
course should focus on teach students real-world SOFTWARE ENGINEERING. But
for some reason everyone want to argue why we should learn about Bruce
Weide's research during our software engineering course and then just learn
actual software engineering on our own. I don't think I'll ever understand
the logic behind that argument. I think they should at least change the
title of the course to "Introduction to Bruce Weide's Research". That way I
couldn't complain as much about them not teaching much actual software
engineering in our "software engineering" course.

--Aaron Joseph