[opensource] RESOLVE

Wyatt trent.arms at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 07:27:46 EST 2009

Hoo boy, this one got pretty lengthy.... :/

Some observations I will make.  They don't have any great ordering, and they
may not all mesh well, but they're here.  For the full disclosure, I don't
particularly like Resolve in its current state, but I appreciate the intent.

It's interesting to bring the natural language argument into this; it's a
similar one that I use frequently when explaining what it is to be a
programmer.  I disagree entirely that "natural language" is, in itself, a
discipline in quite the way you describe (English shares a lot with the West
Germanics and Italics, sure, but what of the Indics, Slavics, northern
Germanics, Baltics, or Celtics?  Things further outside the scope of PIE,
such as the Altaics, Niger-Congo, Sino-Tibetans, or sign languages?  ;) )
but you are correct that programming (as a whole) can be treated as just
another language (I somewhat consider assembly to be yet another,
incidentally).  The individual "programming language" is best thought of as
vocabulary and, as you'll hear any accomplished polyglot say, vocabulary is
cheap.  From this we can take away that knowing your discipline is key.  The
language is immaterial to the argument at hand, at some level, and we seem
to accept this as undeniably true.

Learning how to order water at a restaurant or receive directions to the
bathroom shouldn't also involve discourse on astrophysics.  This is one
mistake in particular that I feel Resolve/C++ could afford to rectify in its
specification style: it has neither the advantage of clarity that natural
languages have nor the mathematical rigour of a formal language.  It doesn't
help that it's also inconsistent with the combined canon of mathematical and
programmatic idiom, either.  This is a purely cosmetic change that could
very well serve to make Resolve much more palatable to those who have
programming experience (which really should be everyone.  Is not CSE201 or
equivalent still a requirement?) while sacrificing nothing for those who
have never written code.

I think we can all agree that using a language even a small amount will
expose one to its strengths and weaknesses in a manner that its use and
relevance is apparent enough.  Not all languages are created equal for all
tasks.  Except, beginners don't know that.  Considering we seem to assume a
zero-exposure scenario (I've personally always thought it strange that
someone would go to school to be a programmer and yet never have had the
gumption to at least actually do some reading about it beforehand) I've
always felt that a beginner's survey class that introduces the concepts as
truly language independent rather than simply making that claim would be
highly beneficial.

Start with C for a few weeks so they'll understand better how the machine
interprets things and get a grounding in debugging, checking their own work,
and (hopefully) using comments.  Move to Python and they see how high-level
languages aid the programmer with high-level constructs and other niceties,
but also the performance penalty (Python has the added bonus of indentation
as a syntactic element, thus reinforcing consistent code style that was
voluntary before).  Have them deal with different languages and scenarios,
do some problems over in a different language, use to read documentation
early on, etc.  Programmers should understand things like type systems, the
exitence of programming disciplines, and the perks and drawbacks of
interpreted verus static languages.  These kids should at least have heard
about these things before encountering Resolve (though they'll be
disappointed greatly by the documentation they find when they get there...)

Knowing a little vocabulary is hardly enough to get by, and certainly not
enough to be anything more than crude.  I see this as where using a
different language could be a compelling benefit to the student, moreso than
attempting to so firmly reinforce concepts that become more and more obvious
as one progesses into the field of programming as a whole.  Having
experience using a language matters.  Switching from something that you've
used for ten years in day-to-day work to a new language will cause a
productivity penalty, possibly for a significant duration.  Whether it has a
smaller standard library or a larger one, the body of knowledge concerning
performance pitfalls and gotchas is simply not there in your head.  And thus
you encounter that adage that 70% of programming is reading.  Four quarters
(because realistically, if you don't know anything else, and no one else
knows anything else, why would you NOT use Resolve for 560?) is quite a bit
when compared to "nothing;" that's a full 44 weeks of using a language
almost every day.

A language switch might not be strictly necessary, but as Patrick Lauer
always tells me, "You can only use it if you can explain why it's bad."
Words to live by.

Students, as a whole, are loathe to entertain lessons that are irrelevant.
Argue all you want about how they need to know the concepts, if you can't
make it immediately relevant to them, it's breeding discontent.  Hello world
should ideally give way to very few problems that have only one solution.
The multitude of solutions will, in and of itself, provide plenty of content
for lectures on what went right and wrong.  Engage the student with useful
discourse that can be applied immediately and universally and they will
thank you for it later.

Never in any of my lectures was the purpose of Resolve stated outright in
clear language.  "Resolve exists as part of an ongoing body of research
intended to provide a meanse to prove that code does what you think it
does." I believe this is more-or-less what I was told when I actually
bothered to ask.  But why did I have to ask?  Even saying "Contract
programming is a discipline for verifying the design of your code." with an
accompanying description of what that means in a practical sense would be
more useful than resounding silence.  Thank god for Wikipedia and Google,
right?

Incidentally, the writing of the Resolve docs could be improved.  If you
must expose them to tedium, at least show them what docs SHOULD be before
forcing them to write docs in 560.

Why is a single class spread across four directories and four files?  What
purpose does having two directories of files that do nothing serve?  To my
recollection, those files are replicated verbatim in the other diretories'
files. Re: students and BS busywork.

Maybe this is too obvious, but why teach Resolve/C++?  What criteria does it
meet that no other language does?  The contract programming paradigm has its
merits, but not piled onto C++ like this.  Languages like D that actually
have contracts built in already would seem a much better fit.  What ever
happened to Resolve/Ada?  The only novel thing I can really see that doesn't
seem to be replicated elsewhere is the swapping.  But what is the benefit of
that?  No, really, what's the actual lesson to be learned in making it
difficult to perform non-destructive operations on your variables?  Whatever
it is, considering that it's not applied especially consistently (e.g.
Resolve "pointers," initialisation of variables), I feel like it must be
losing something for it.

Cheers,
Wyatt