[opensource] RESOLVE

Shaun Rowland rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Feb 9 19:28:41 EST 2009

On Feb 9, 2009, at 5:13 PM, Mark Geary wrote:

> On 9 Feb 2009, at 12:51 PM, Shaun Rowland wrote:
>> On Feb 9, 2009, at 12:36 PM, richard hornsby wrote:
>>>
>>> Would I have preferred the RESOLVE series to not be so abstract
>>> with the crazy math definitions?  Sure.  That said, you guys are
>>> probably very lucky to be taking the series now.  When I was
>>> taking it (besides walking uphill both ways to class, barefoot, in
>>> the snow), we were the lab rats for this new thing called "RESOLVE/
>>> C++", as they were still trying to figure out what worked and what
>>> didn't.  :)
>>
>> If I am not mistaken, I think we took it at the same time, or
>> close :-)
>
> So, when was RESOLVE first used in 221? I took 221 in WI 87 and I
> think we were the first class to use Modula-2. COBOL was taught for
> 321 in SU 87. RESOLVE was introduced for one of the 600 level
> classes, I don't remember which.

I am not exactly sure. I believe I took CSE 221, 222, and 321
staring in AU 97, but I could be off a little bit. I think at
the time 321 was still a pilot course. All three were using C++
then. I seem to recall one being still a pilot course anyway.
Before that I think it was still Modula-2 for all three. I believe
it was the '96-97 time frame when this switched to using C++ for
all of them. That's all I know about the switch unfortunately.
--
Shaun Rowland
rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu