[opensource] RESOLVE

richard hornsby me at rhornsby.org
Mon Feb 9 19:48:57 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Shaun Rowland <rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu>wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2009, at 5:13 PM, Mark Geary wrote:

>>> If I am not mistaken, I think we took it at the same time, or close :-)

That sounds about the time I was in the series as well.  Jeremy something or
other was the 221 instructor - we may have been in the same class.  I do
recall giving him jazz for no reason.  I certainly know your name, just was
never sure if it was from the CSE program or one of those names from around
the OSU IT community.

>> So, when was RESOLVE first used in 221? I took 221 in WI 87 and I think we
>> were the first class to use Modula-2. COBOL was taught for 321 in SU 87.
>> RESOLVE was introduced for one of the 600 level classes, I don't remember
>> which.
>>

> I am not exactly sure. I believe I took CSE 221, 222, and 321
> staring in AU 97, but I could be off a little bit. I think at
> the time 321 was still a pilot course. All three were using C++
> then. I seem to recall one being still a pilot course anyway.
> Before that I think it was still Modula-2 for all three. I believe
> it was the '96-97 time frame when this switched to using C++ for
> all of them. That's all I know about the switch unfortunately.

I remember the series being a pilot, and vaguely recall a choice of Modula
(I think there was one section offered) or C++, with the C++ version being
strongly encouraged.  I had no idea Resolve had been around for so long.  I
stand corrected that it was new at the time.