[opensource] Meeting [12/4]: Abusing the Unix Shell

Wesley Haines kremit at wrpn.net
Tue Jan 13 01:08:18 EST 2009

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 21:33 -0500, Aaron Joseph wrote:

> It looks like there is some serious knowledge about this subject
> [graphics cards] floating around the mailing list. So who wants to
> tell me how to get compiz to play nice with my 2 nvidia [6800] cards?
> will offer a reward of $2 [us] to the person who can tell me how to
> get desktop effects working across 3 monitors using 2 graphics cards.
> I'll go out an buy 2 ATI cards if thats the solution.... I just really
> only care about having burning windows!!! I have spent a good amount
> of time trying to get this to work and still havent found a solution.
> Just getting 3 monitors to work at all was a pain... but now I want to
> complete the journey by getting compiz to work. The error I keep
> getting is "compositing extension not available" or something like
> that. It is very annoying and I want to get rid of it. If anyone knows
> how to make this work then this is the time to speak
> up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, a month later and I'm finally responding ;-)
I've had years of experience (hair-pulling?) with NVIDIA and ATI cards
on Linux. You should be able to get two monitors working together with
NVIDIA's TwinView settings.

First, you'll want to get the monitors to work in the first place. After
installing the drivers (kmod-nvidia* package from RPMFusion for Fedora,
and similar packages for Ubuntu and SuSE) you should be able to run:

nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --twinview

Caveat: TwinView only runs on two monitors at a time. If you want to use
all three as 1 desktop, You'll have to use Xinerama to link all three
screens together. Compositing will still work, though, according to
here:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/180.22/README/chapter-14.html

I would suggest using
# nvidia-settings

to configure the three screens separately, and then add the Xinerama
lines from that page to your xorg.conf file.

Finally, add the following to your xorg.conf file to hopefully get
compositing working:

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

(installing the drivers from RPMFusion does all of this automatically
except for the TwinView/Xinerama part).

Hope that helps!

Wesley Haines

Network Administrator       Webmaster