[opensource] Selecting a Linux server distro?

Shaun Brady brady.1345 at osu.edu
Sun Jan 18 22:40:19 EST 2009

Glad you asked.   http://packages.debian.org/lenny/gcc

Debian runs in three tracks.   Stable, Testing, and Unstable.   I
generally equate Testing to the stability of Fedora or the like.
Granted, Stable is old, but so is software that has been bug tested for
years.   It's up to the user to pick and choose.   The power comes from
the ability to mix and match.  You can run a stable system, but pick
from testing the things you need high numbers on.   apt figures out the
deps for you.   It's a VERY versatile system..