[opensource] Help A Guy Recover His Lost Laptop

richard hornsby me at rhornsby.org
Sat Jul 18 14:07:41 EDT 2009

> >From reading I am pretty sure that he knew where the person lived.  It
> was just proving to the authorities that the person actually stole the
> laptop.

If you suspect that the thief is also an OSU student, consider talking
to the OSU network security team (Steve Romig's group in OIT).  Have
available a copy of the police report, your public IP address (the one
assigned via DHCP by the ISP).  Your router's MAC address won't be
terribly useful, as only your local ISP will ever see it, but have it
handy anyways.

They used to be able to use the POP3 logs to associate people with IP
addresses.  With the recent changes to the mail system, I'm not sure
where that stands.  They may not do anything without specific
direction from the investigating agency, but they may be able to
assist you in other ways.  You could try calling the generic OIT
helpdesk (68)8-HELP first, but I doubt they'll be of much use.

-rj