[opensource] Help A Guy Recover His Lost Laptop

Steve Romig romig.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jul 20 12:43:20 EDT 2009

On Jul 18, 2009, at 2:07 PM, richard hornsby wrote:
> If you suspect that the thief is also an OSU student, consider talking
> to the OSU network security team (Steve Romig's group in OIT).  Have
> available a copy of the police report, your public IP address (the one
> assigned via DHCP by the ISP).  Your router's MAC address won't be
> terribly useful, as only your local ISP will ever see it, but have it
> handy anyways.

The best action would be to contact the OSU police and explain the
situation.  I/we can't do anything to help directly: even if I could
identify the suspect from the logs with the information you have
available, I'm not allowed to look in the logs for that information
without getting permission first, and wouldn't be able to divulge it
even if I did look.  The OSU police can properly conduct the
investigation, requesting info from us if it helps identify a suspect,
use that to get a search warrant, and etc.

--- Steve