[opensource] Re: Constitutional Meeting This Thursday [6/4/09]

James Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Jun 1 14:15:31 EDT 2009

Hi Alek,

When I brought the club back together several years back I also took a
good hard look at the constitution and I didn't agree with all of it at
first.  The constitution is very permissive and loosely defined and I
thought maybe we should have some more structure to better hold the club
together.

The constitution as it is now is several generations old and was written
this way to bring together open source hackers who disagreed on
everything from GNU vs BSD to which linux distribution to use to Gnome
vs KDE and so on.  There has been massive convergence in the open source
world since the time we first incorporated but I think it's important to
keep that spirit of creativity and unconventionality.

The constitution most likely doesn't prevent you from doing something
what you want.  What I found was that I was most concerned about what
would happen after I handed the club over to someone else and that's why
I wanted to make changes.  I'm glad I didn't because it left others free
to be creative with the club and to do things I hadn't anticipated.

I came to understand that the constitution is part of our heritage that
gets passed from one generation to the next.  The university doesn't
really care what we write there, it's mostly for us.  If you do find
gaps in the constitution, I would suggest amending what's already there
or adding to the bylaws using the process described in the constitution.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend since I am out of town on an
internship.  Could you please post any proposed changes to the mailing list?

Best wishes,
  ~Jim.