[opensource] NVIDIA Tesla C1060 computing card on Debian

Yung-Yu Chen yungyuc at gmail.com
Mon May 4 12:07:49 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 22:15, Jon D. <jonsafari at ling.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with setting up and
> using an NVIDIA Tesla C1060 GPU computing card on Debian (or Ubuntu).

I don't have any experience with Tesla yet, but there are just several
pieces of GTX285 arrive our lab.  Setting up the GPU for cuda programming is
straight-forward.  Cuda itself is just another application that make use of
nvidia proprietary driver.

> Is there any special compatibility issues to consider?  Is it worth it,

Tesla is very expensive compared to highend home use GPU cards such as
GTX285/295, and it doesn't seem to be able to draw.

> compared to alternatives (PS3?) for highly parallel number crunching?

Both PS3 and GPGPU are reported for several hundreds of GFLOPS.  I didn't do
the benchmark myself (and I don't have a PS3).