[opensource] Important: Read before posting

Matt Meinwald meinwald.1 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 24 19:42:47 EST 2009

This message was meant to be posted on the website, but not on the
mailing list.  I'd like to clarify what we've been working on with this
synchronization and what it means for mailing list and website users.

Basically, messages posted on the mailing list will also be posted to
the "Mailing List" forum on our website and vice versa.  This enables
people to see mailing list messages without having to sign up for the
mailing list, thus reaching out to a larger audience, and let's people
post to the mailing list through our website instead of having to write
an email.

This does cause a few issues: what happens when someone posts on the
mailing list who is not a member of the website, and what happens when
someone posts on the website who is not a member of the mailing list.

Mailing list messages from unknown users get sent to a moderation queue,
so if website users post to the forum, their message will be subject to
review before they hit the mailing list.

Mailing list emails unknown to the website get fake users created for
them.  The usernames of these are obtained from the From field of the
email.  So signing up for the website gains you the ability to set the
username yourself (and of course log into the website!)

I'm sorry for the extra emails you received as a result of setting this
up, but it should be worth it to combine two previously unconnected
communication channels.